Daniel's Critical Corner

January 1, 2013

Daniel’s Critical Corner: The Best of 2012

Filed under: Reviews — Daniel @ 5:00 pm
Tags: , ,

Let’s Talk About Arrow Dynamics !

Hello Everyone !
~ Welcome to Daniel’s Critical Corner ~
In My Binders This Week: The Best of 2012

If you are lookin’ at this page, you’ve survived the Mayan Apocalypse !  And,
seeing as I’m writing today, I too have escaped unscathed.  Phew !!!  Seems
we really lucked out.  Just think, at this very moment, what was once known
as Critical Corner could have instantly disintegrated, with the remains of its
handsome author orbiting Saturn !

But here we are, and no one has flown into orbit (with the exception of Green
Day’s Billie Joe Armstrong).  Our feet are planted firmly on Earth, and there’s
no zombie apocalypse.  Yet !  For a moment, I really thought there was some
undead activity…  It was just Queen Elizabeth’s Diamond Jubilee.

Yes, there were certainly multiple signs that the end was near !  It all started
with PSY’s Gangnam Style.  Then, Clint Eastwood talked to a chair ! Omen or
not, that’s tough to ignore.  However, the most prophetic indicator was when
Justin Bieber got snubbed by the Grammys.  Even I was shocked !!!  Nothing
cataclysmic has come of these happenings.  We persevered !

Time to embrace 2013 wholeheartedly, and to recognize 2012’s best movies.

The Top Ten:

**************************************************************

ParaNorman

Rife with zany activity.

~

Yikes !  This Is Quite A Hair-Raising List !

*************************************************************

John Carter

No relation to Jimmy.

*************************************************************

The Dark Knight Rises

Like a cake !

*************************************************************

To Rome with Love

A great comedy from Woody Allen.  Bellissimo !

*************************************************************

Les Miserables

Featuring the tune, “I Dreamed a Dream”. *

* As made famous by Susan Boyle.

~

Anne Hathaway’s Blue Period.

*************************************************************

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey

Expected to make lots of money.

*************************************************************

Skyfall

Chicken Little’s favorite film !

*************************************************************

Rise of the Guardians

Often confused with “The Owls of Googly Glen”
(or whatever it was called).

*************************************************************

Marvel’s The Avengers

The Justice League was not impressed.

~

I Workout, That’s Why My Arms Are Sooo Thor.

*************************************************************

Lincoln

Don’t hold your breath waiting for vampires to show up !

*************************************************************

~

What a chart !  Impressive as it may be, here are some other contenders.

Honorable Mentions:

~ The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel
Anna Karenina ~
~ The Amazing Spider-Man
Frankenweenie ~
~ Brave

************************************************************

Now, I must apologize to those of you looking for lovelorn werewolves or
foul-mouthed teddy bears !!!  Some decent flicks just didn’t make my final
cut !  “The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn Part 2″ and “Ted” were certainly
a lot of fun.

As for “The Hunger Games”, it left me starving for substance.  But, it was
somewhat salvageable when compared to the following…

Dishonorable Mentions:

1. The Apparition

(They should have called it The Crapparition).

2. Project X

(The party is over).

3. A Thousand Words

(Nothing good can be said about this one).

~

Ha-ha !!!  OK, bring on 2013 !!!  Happy New Year !!!

:-)

Daniel’s Critical Corner:  Always a “10” out of “10” !!!

~ ~ ~

~ ~

14 Comments »

1. I’m always glad to see my favorite movies on your list. The Avengers and (to my surprise) The Bourne Legacy were my two favorites of the year! The puns made me roll with laughter and I’m finally feeling at ease about the end of the world. Thank you Critical Corner.

Comment by Vanessa — January 1, 2013 @ 10:20 pm | Reply

2. Glad to be of service ! I think we can breathe easy until 2040. Gosh, I will be, um… In my late forties* when that asteroid hits !

*Give or take a “few” years.

Ha-ha :-)

Comment by Daniel — January 1, 2013 @ 10:30 pm | Reply

3. Sorta hard for me to get to movies anymore so I hold out for those that I already KNOW I can’t miss.. so The Hobbit was my choice! And I”m certainly glad for it. Too many people go to find things wrong with a movie, but I went to the Hobbit so I could visit once again with Gandalf and be in middle earth and for those things Peter Jackson is the best! I already can’t wait for next December to see part 2….but I hope to make one side trip in May to see Star Trek..naturally!

Comment by deslily — January 2, 2013 @ 5:15 am | Reply

4. It really was nice to see Gandalf on the big screen once more. The upcoming “Star Trek” looks fantastic !

Have a wonderful New Year !!!

Comment by Daniel — January 2, 2013 @ 9:22 am | Reply

5. I agree with a lot of your best list, though I actually put The Bourne Legacy as one of the year’s biggest disappointments. I think someone called it The Bourne Letdown and I can’t disagree more, ahah.

Comment by ruth — January 2, 2013 @ 1:28 pm | Reply

6. When I learned that Matt Damon was not going to be in the new “Bourne” film, I was indeed concerned. My worries melted away, however, as Jeremy Renner (who always rocks in my book) carried “The Bourne Legacy” to greatness. Edward Norton (who also rocks in my book) sadly seemed a bit underused. All he really managed to do was look flustered while barking orders at disinterested people. LOL !!! :-)

Comment by Daniel — January 2, 2013 @ 8:58 pm | Reply

7. hahaha. we agree on some of these! what a fun list. I always look forward to seeing how you integrate some fun into your posts. Don’t think you’ll like my thoughts on To Rome With Love. BUT, I am super glad and impressed to see John Carter on your lists of the top 10.

when you get a sec, here are my thoughts on 2012 movies Best and Worst. We have much in common my friend. http://thefocusedfilmographer.com/2013/01/02/thefocusedfilmographers-best-worst-movie-picks-of-2012/

Happy new year.

Comment by The Focused Filmographer — January 4, 2013 @ 12:08 am | Reply

8. I enjoyed “To Rome with Love”. But, I always have had a penchant for Woody Allen films that actually feature Woody Allen ! I also love when Allen includes a touch of magic and whimsy in his offerings. The soundtrack is a hoot, featuring the tune “Amada Mia, Amore Mio” (by The Starlite Orchestra). Talk about a song getting stuck in your head ! Ha-ha ! I dare anyone to listen to that and escape unaffected!!!

“John Carter” is a magnificent movie, on multiple levels. Breathtaking and ambitious (but not without a keen sense of humor) ! It’s easy to see how this story
    (written around 1912) has inspired so much in the science fiction realm as we know it today.

Comment by Daniel — January 4, 2013 @ 6:29 am | Reply

9. Good list, I think yours is the first to feature ParaNorman, Just saw it yesterday and would have made my list :D
    “I Workout, That’s Why My Arms Are Sooo Thor.” Love it haha xD

Comment by Tim The Film Guy — January 6, 2013 @ 6:13 am | Reply

10. Thanks ! “ParaNorman” was a treat. The technology for stop motion animation has come a long way. “Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer” would be proud !

Comment by Daniel — January 6, 2013 @ 6:35 am | Reply

11. Nice list… I like all your picks but I haven’t seen To Rome With Love tho… hope to check it out soon.

Comment by Ipodman — January 6, 2013 @ 6:37 am | Reply

12. Thank you !!! Woody Allen is hilarious. “Rome” will be available on Blu-ray and DVD next week !!!

Comment by Daniel — January 7, 2013 @ 8:00 am | Reply

13. I enjoyed some ParaNorman, my four year-old liked it so much we saw it twice. Good list overall but I don’t see Moonrise Kingdom on there. Did you get a chance to check that out?

Comment by sanclementejedi — January 9, 2013 @ 9:10 pm | Reply

14. Somehow, I missed “Moonrise Kingdom”. I’m going to try to catch it soon…

I’m thrilled that “ParaNorman” is up for an Academy Award (Animated Feature Film) !!!

Comment by Daniel — January 11, 2013 @ 7:25 am | Reply